Handley Page O/400
The Handley Page Type O was an early biplane bomber used by Britain during the First World War, eventually launching an improved O/400 in April, 1918 when the Royal Air Force came into existence to combine the RFC and the RNAS. The O/400 was the largest aircraft built in the U.K. at the time, and was employed as a strategic bomber; a night bomber at 100 Squadron.
The bombers were used in France for tactical night attacks on targets in German-occupied France and Belgium and for strategic bombing of industrial and transport targets in the Rhineland. While the O/400s could carry a new 1,650-pound bomb, 100 Squadron mainly carried multiple 112 and 230-pounders as well as small 25-pound Coopers. Armament consisted of five Lewis-type machine gun systems mounted at various defensive positions about the fuselage; two up front for the observer and three for the rear gunner.
The O/400 carried a 100 foot wingspan with a length of nearly 63 feet. The aircraft was crewed by a compliment of three personnel and fitted with two landing gear systems mounting two wheels a piece. The two engines were 360hp Rolls-Royce brand Eagle VIII V-12s on either side of the fuselage. Wing design was of the typical heavy bomber biplane type, with struts spanning the structures.